Fatigue is a common symptom of hepatitis, and it can become worse while you are
taking interferon. Here are some things you can do to help yourself feel
1. Get plenty of rest. Sleep more at night and take naps during the day if
you can. Try to schedule regular rest periods each day.
2. Limit your activities: Do only the things that are most important to
3. Delegate tasks. Don’t be afraid to get help when you need it. Ask
family and friends to pitch in with things like child care, shopping,
housework, or driving.
4. Eat well, and be sure to include plenty of healthy foods.
5. When sitting or lying down, get up slowly. This will help prevent
6. Don’t stand when you can sit.
7. Plan your activities and assemble everything before you start.
8. Reschedule daily tasks so you do some only 3 or 4 times a week so you
have time to rest each day.
9. Use a cart, wagon or basket to carry things from one part of the house
to the other to eliminate retracing your steps.
10. Sit on a stool in the bathroom while shaving or applying makeup. Prop
elbows up on counter if you can.
11. Use warm, not hot water for baths or showers. Hot water increases
12. If your fatigue is severe, think about asking your doctor for a
handicap sticker for your car.
13. Shop when you are at your peak energy.
14. When shopping alone, ask a grocery clerk to carry out groceries.
15. If you arrive home from grocery shopping tired, put away only the
perishables. A family member of friend can do the rest.
16. Shop by phone whenever possible.
17. Avoid peak shopping/traffic hours.